Wednesday, February 6, 2019

Christmas gifts

Hello Friends!

I sure have been blogging a lot!  Hope you are sticking with me.  My son has been dating his girlfriend for over 2 years now.  She is a very sweet girl and we all love her.  They met on campus of UW Milwaukee.  It's just her and her mom now so we have kind of adopted her.  When I was a baby, my grandmother made me a felt beaded stocking.  Of course I don't have a picture of it right now, but I may post it later.  Whenever a new baby was born, they got a stocking.  She was working on my sister's stocking when she passed away.  My Aunt Sue took over making them.  My son's has a fishing theme.  Of course, I don't have a picture right now.  Sorry.  I made my brother in law one a few years ago. I am terrible!  No picture.  Maybe I should save this post for another time when I actually have pictures?  Nah!
So I decided to make a stocking for Iolanda:
 
She is an animal lover and loved this stocking.  I am so glad I took the time to make this for her.  The beading takes a while, but the actual felt part took longer.  Usually these kits come with the pattern stamped on the felt.  You just cut out the coordinating number and sew it on.  This kit had a few of those, but primarily I had to trace pattern pieces to the felt and cut out.  This took much longer than I expected.  I am so glad I started in November.  I have about 25 hours of work in this.  Some friends have asked for them, but I have had to decline.  By the time you average your time and money in them, you could not get your value from making them.
 
I have also been hoarding a pattern just waiting for the time to make these trees;
 
One of my local quilt shops was closing and I was able to buy a lot of fabric at a discounted price.  I made these 2 as gifts for friends.  I made 5 total.  They take a lot of time and patience, but were fun to make.
 
So, tell me, do you make commissioned pieces?  Do you get your value out of them?
 
Blessings
Amy
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Word of the year

 Hello Friends I have finally finished my word for the year.  Any guesses?  I went to a quilt retreat offered from the guild I am in. I was ...