Monday, March 2, 2020

Baby quilts completed

Hello Friends

Hope you are all doing well.  And by all I mean the one person who reads this.  Hi Izzy!  Thanks for reading!  And anyone else who happens to read this.  Thank you!
A coworker had a baby late last year and I wanted to make a quilt.  Also, I found out that my Godchild was also expecting.  I went to Pinterest like a lot of us and found the Bento Baby Quilt pattern.  It won't let me attach a link so you will have to search for it yourself.  I am trying really hard to use the fabrics I have.  I buy them because I love them, but I should use them too.
Here is the quilt for my coworker:

It looks wavy in this picture but it really did lay flat.  I used 2 layers of low loft batting and quilted straight lines on my domestic machine.  For extra durability, I sewed the binding by machine.  These were all fabrics I had on hand.

The second quilt I made is this:

When my Godchild had her first son, I made her a quilt with some of these same fabrics.  She is big into sharks so I used as much of the nautical fabric I had.  I quilted wavy lines and machine bound this quilt.

My mom has been a knitter for as long as I can remember.  She makes a lot of baby afghans and a few larger lap size afghans.  This is the one she sent to my Godchild:

I have a chair in my new office and decided to make a pillow for it.  I had this fabric in my stash and just went for it!  Sometimes, things work out without a pattern.  I printed a shamrock and traced it on my interfacing.  Sewed the green strips together, ironed on the interfacing and cut it out.  I am so excited to be using my stash!


Last summer, my friend Marilyn and I decided to make a Maple Leaf  quilt.  She wanted to swap blocks so we decided on 6.  We weren't sure how big we were going to make it and 6 was an easy make on a weekend.  While I was sewing hers, I decided to sew more for my quilt.  I had made 17 before I knew it.  I sent her 6 and she sent the same to me.  I decided on layout and made the remaining blocks a couple weeks ago.  They are pretty simple to do if you assembly style make them.  I used the free pattern from Fat Quarter Shop.  Here is my layout:


The big border is actually fabric I bought at a second hand store.  I used this fabric as a table cover when Marilyn and I did a craft show together.  It's fitting to put this on here as my friendship quilt.  I have the backing fabric ready to sew together and will get this to my quilter soon.  She is almost finished with my Vintage Christmas quilt!

I have much more to share, but I will do that another day.
Thanks for reading!

Blessings
Amy



1 comment:

  1. Hi Amy! :-) I like the baby quilts - the colours are the first one are so happy. I can't wait to see your maple leaf quilt all done!

    ReplyDelete

Word of the year

 Hello Friends I have finally finished my word for the year.  Any guesses?  I went to a quilt retreat offered from the guild I am in. I was ...